Old Dominion Days at the Gila County Historical Museum kicks off tonight (Wednesday, Sept. 28) with a meet-the-artist reception hosted by Globe photographer Amanda Moors. Her exhibit features new works captured this summer including long-exposure scenes of the Milky Way during the summer months when the galaxy’s breathtaking ‘core’ is visible on darkest nights. Lightning photos from 2022 summer storms, and even creative time-lapse videos of these subjects and more will also be shown on a flatscreen TV the museum installed to accompany this exhibit.
A professional wildlife biologist and Globe resident since 1995, Moors specializes in biological surveys for the U.S. Forest Service, University of Arizona, Bureau of Land Management, local ranchers and the San Carlos Apache Tribe. A longtime volunteer with the Becoming an Outdoorswoman workshops in Arizona, she also serves on the Arizona Wildlife Federation’s board of directors, and as its treasurer. In 2002, two decades ago, she created and launched the website coueswhitetail.com, which quickly became the ‘Go To’ portal for all who are equally enthralled with Coues Whitetail deer. Her exhibit in the Gila County Historical Museum continues into October; for additional details check the museum’s website, gilahistoricalmuseum.org, and Facebook page, facebook.com/gilahistorical.
Old Dominion Days Events include:
* A Salute To Mining Sept. 29 with speakers from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
* Hamburger Fry Sept. 30 at 5:30 p.m. with live music by Neto & Imagine
* Pinto Valley Mine tours Sept. 29 and 30, with tour buses leaving the museum promptly at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.; for reservations call (928) 425-7385
* Old Dominion Mine Park tours Sept. 29 – Oct. 1 (open for this event, thanks to BHP)
* Sheriffs of Gila County lecture by Linda Lopez Sept. 30 from 10 a.m. – Noon
* Stairizona Trail Walking Tours led by local author Thea Wilshire and Regina Ortega Sept. 30 and Oct. 1 at 7 a.m.
* Chuckwagon Supper Oct. 1 from 6 – 8 p.m. with music by Tumbleweeds ($25)
* Author Thea Wilshire discusses her new novel ‘Welcome To Nugget’ and signs copies Sept. 30 from 1 – 2 p.m.
* Author Libby Rooney presents her book ‘Reflections’ and signs copies Sept. 30 from 3 – 5 p.m.
* Author Dawn Newland presents a new historical novel, ‘Arizona Tough,’ and signs her books Oct. 1 from 2 – 5 p.m.