GLOBE — Here’s an opportunity for ‘work campers’ in the Tonto National Forest: Globe Ranger District can provide a water buffalo, solar panel, pump, generator and propane if you have a pop-up, travel trailer or fifth-wheel and want to spend the spring and summer living at Timber Camp or Pioneer Pass as a camp host.
Questions? Want an application? Call Sheryl Cormack, USFS Recreation Management Specialist at 928-402-6200 or email [email protected]
What’s required? 24 hours of volunteer work per week per person residing in the camp site during a continuous 90-day commitment, with your work schedule to be determined by Globe Ranger District staff. Camp hosts greet Tonto National Forest visitors and give helpful information about campsite amenities -- and friendly reminders about Forest Service rules and regulations. Hosts inform the public about camper safety, answer question related to hiking trails and camping (such as: “where’s the nearest outhouse?”); and report compliance or maintenance problems to Forest Service staff. Additional duties may include landscaping pruning; replacing signs, picking up trash, dousing unattended campfires and cleaning out fire rings and grilles. Work Campers are essential ‘eyes and ears’ in dispersed recreation areas, and should expect to work efficiently - but with limited daily supervision from Globe Ranger District staff. Tools, equipment and training are provided while working in recreation areas.
Volunteers are not to act in a law enforcement capacity.
• Be a U.S. citizen and provide a permanent mailing address
• Pass a background check and possess a valid state driver’s license
• Provide your own personal camping accommodations (maintained to be welcoming and approachable by the public)
• Able to be self-sustained in a dry camping environment if necessary
• In good physical condition, with a positive and helpful attitude
• Able to operate a variety of hand and power tools
• Work safely without daily supervision
• Prepared to work under varied conditions, including inclement weather
• Provide a professional reference to verify experience